Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Courtesy of Cooking Light
Yeild 16 muffins
- 1 2/3 cups quick-cooking oats **I also added a little ground flax with the oats
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 1/3 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place oats in a food processor; pulse 5 to 6 times or until oats resemble coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to oats; stir well. Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar evenly over batter. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.
** I had a little trouble getting the muffins out of the pan so I took a knife and went around the edges to loosen them up and then let them cool for a few minutes before I put them on the rack.