Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Citrus Poppy Seed Loaf

I just have to say that I am in love with my mini loaf pan that I purchased from Crate&Barrel. So far I have made only bread in it but plan on making mini meat loafs and other goodies. When I made my bread tonight and tested it out I ate a whole loaf which sounds terrible but, they are mini so you don't have to feel so guilty! At least I don't. I would highly recommend getting one for yourself or put on your wish list. Since my hubby isn't home I just put the loaves in a small baggie and am going to freeze them till he gets home. 



Citrus Poppy Seed Loaf

4 Large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 cup butter softened
 
Lemon-Lime Syrup
1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
1/3 cup Sugar

  •  Preheat Oven to 350. Butter or spray bottoms and sides of loaf pan. ( The recipe called for 4 mini loaf pans which are slightly bigger than mine)
  • In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and milk.
  • In the bowl of your electric mixer stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, lime zest, and poppy seeds until thoroughly combined.
  • Add softened Butter to flour mixture
  • Add half the egg mixture and mix on low speed until moistened. Increase the speed to  medium and beat for about a minute.
  • Scrape the sides of the bowl and add remaining egg mixture in two batches, beating after each addition.
  • Scrape batter into the prepared loaf pans and bake for about 20 -25 minutes or until bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
For the Moist Maker
In a small saucepan bring sugar, lemon juice, and lime juice to a boil. Stir till sugar is dissolved. When bread is done, remove from oven an place on a wire rack. Pierce the hot loaves all over with a wooden skewer ( I used a chopstick thats all I had) and pour the hot lemon-lime syrup over the loaves. ( you may want to even use toothpicks if you don't have skewers because my chopsticks left pretty big holes)

Cut it up into bite size pieces with a little butter or they are small enough you could just bit into the loaf. I cut mine so I can savor it longer. This bread turned out pretty moist and I loved the little citrus kick it had. It keeps your mouth watering so you want to go back for more. Don't worry if you do they are small loaves right? Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm this citrus poppy seed loaf looks DELICIOUS!! I really love your blog and so glad to be a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. smiley in the kitchenTuesday, 05 July, 2011

    Thank you Kelly for the nice comments and for following my blog such a fun thing to meet new people and find new recipes!!

    ReplyDelete