Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pineapple Curry Chicken

Curry is a generic description used throughout Western culture to describe a variety of dishes from Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan, Thai or other Southeast Asian cuisines. The chief spices found in mostSouth Asian curry powders are turmeric, coriander, and cumin; a wide range of additional spices may be included depending on the geographic region and the foods being included (white/red meat, fish, lentils, rice and vegetables


So who doesn't love a home cooked meal when they get home after a long day? I sure do especially when it doesn't take much effort. Lately I have been looking for recipes I can throw in the crock pot and have ready when I get home. A lot of the time I go to the gym after work or shortly there after and don't have a lot of time to think about supper. This way when I make something in the crock pot I can have it whenever I am ready. Of course I am always looking for healthy recipes too. I had gotten this taste of home magazine from my mother in law and found a few recipes that I would like to try out.






Pineapple Curry Chicken
Yields: 6 Servings


Ingredients
2 cans 8oz unsweetened pineapple chunks undrained
6 bone-in or boneless chicken breasts
1 can (15oz) Garbanzo beans or chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 large onion cut in 1 inch pieces
1 cup julienne carrots
1 medium red sweet pepper cut into strips
1/2 cup light coconut milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch 
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp curry powder
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp fresh ginger minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes ( I omitted since I don't like spicy)
Toasted flaked coconut (A MUST if you like coconut)


Directions
1. Drain Pineapple reserving 3/4 cup juice. Place chicken breasts, bean, vegetables, and pineapple in a 6qt slow cooker. In a small bowl combine coconut milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in the sugar, curry powder, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, lime juice, red pepper flakes and reserved juice. Pour Over Chicken.
2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with rice and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

Yummy Chunks of pineapple and toasted coconut what a great combination!!
With the Chicken and Garbanzo Beans you are also getting a healthy dose of Protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment